Dear Bill,

I have tried to use the simplest term to explain the foundation of Life
Force, which composes of Chi and it carries Universal Wisdom.

Since your post is for others and not for yourself, then I shall stop
here, because the way you have assumed the argument for others are
getting into the relativity and nitty-gritty of word definition, instead
of the essence of the universe.  That feeds the brain instead of the
spirit,  because there is no absolute definition in words.  There is
nothing to understand in the first place.  Understand exists in the
world of labels.

On the other hand, unless you experience and witness Chi, all discussion
is irrelevant.  Let me give you some tips to experience Chi first.

However, I like to mention another concept of Chan in our school (by our
school, I mean, we may not be THE school  Remember every time I utter an
opinion, it is correct based on my incomplete gathering of information).
In our school, the mind is the brain, and the heart or the spirit is the
Buddha Nature.  It is my experience to state, no matter how limited,
erroneous, delusional the brain is, our heart is always aware, pure and
compassionate.  Therefore, I state that your brain may deny, your heart
accepts.  Your brain may doubt, but your heart believes.  Often our
actions are rescued, corrected by our heart at the end, even though our
mind may astray.

Therefore, no matter how you argue, your heart knows the way.  Here
comes the punch line.....

If there is no ego, how can you be "cornered".  You see, your heart is
telling while your brain is not.

Our job as Chan practitioners, is to learn from everything, not get lost
in definitions.  Because everything is manifested by the universal life
force, or the One.  Why differentiate?  Try to grow our spirit/Buddha
nature from it, is the key.  For you Bill, grow means, "let go of the
mind" and not "grow the Buddha Nature".

After all these long posts, which is very dangerous, I recommend one
thing and one thing only, cultivate your Chi in your Zazen.  Everything
else will come naturally.  All labels, definition, knowledge, sutra are
second hand at best.