JMJM, Thanks for your reply. The titles were confusing to me. This reply post of your is less confusing - only just slightly.
Bill! (I've dropped the Big Fish title since it was superfluous and probably confusing.) --- In [email protected], Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺å¦ç²¾æ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > Hello Big Fish, > > It is always a pleasure to read your post. Always so serious and > straight from the heart. Especially this post. Because... > > Before I reply, please excuse me first. Because I trapped you with this > small statement to illustrate a point. hahaha... > > Roshiï¼èå¸«ï¼ - is indeed a Japanese pronunciation for the same > character of (èå¸«ï¼ pronounces Lao-Shi in Chinese, which is what I am > called in the Chinese community. > While the naming of American Zen Association has the opposite story. At > the time of our registration, I thought Zen is Chan, because they are > the same character in Chinese. > > Now what is the point? The point is, labels are confusing. That's > all.... And you fell for it. Sorry. > > It does not matter at all, my friend. State of our Inner Self is the > only thing matters. > > I will address your other longer post after dinner. OK? Stay Tuned. > > Sorry again, > _/\_ > JM > > > Bill Smart wrote: > > > > JMJM: > > > > AND ANOTHER THING... > > > > (Sorry for the second posting so soon after my last, but I'm on my > > second cup of tea this mornig and my inner self is in a frenzy. It > > wants to reach out and CHI someone!) > > > > Here is my question: > > > > You are a teacher in a Chan school. Chan is Chinese. You spell and > > pronouce Chi as 'Chi' which is modern Chinese (as opposed to 'ki' as > > in Japnese' or 'qi' traditional or some other kind of Chinese.) Your > > family name is Hwong. Isn't that Chinese also? > > > > So...and here comes the question...Why is your title 'Roshi', which > > is Japanese? > > > > Enquiring no-minds want to know... > > > > Bill!, Big Fish > > > > --- In [email protected] <mailto:Zen_Forum% 40yahoogroups.com>, > > "Bill Smart" <BillSmart@> wrote: > > > > > > JMJM, > > > > > > I DID NOT agree with you that zen was 'just a mind-balancing > > > exercise'. I agreed with you that zen was not spritual. Zen is no- > > > mind, so there is nothing to balance - WYSIWYG, no adjustments > > > necessary. > > > > > > I'm not sure what your remark below about my 'inner self' means. I > > > guess you think I have an 'inner self' and that you know more about > > > what it's doing than I. Please continue to let me know what it's > > up > > > to. I'd hate to have my inner self sneak up on me and surprise me. > > > > > > Buddha Nature, which I have called 'JUST THIS', is not in the realm > > > of sprituality or maya. It is real. It is reality. > > > > > > Buddha Nature and Chi are not the same, or at least Buddha Nature, > > as > > > I know it, is not the same as what you have described Chi to be. > > > You've described Chi as a universal energy that you can connect > > with > > > and detect in others, that you can cultivate and accumulate, that > > you > > > can learn to direct and channel, that you can use to heal yourself > > > and others, that misuse can harm yourself and others, that you > > > describe things you like as to having 'good' Chi and things you > > don't > > > as having 'bad' Chi. This sounds more like something sung about in > > > the Beach Boy's song 'Good Vibrations'. (Good hamony there...) > > > > > > Some of the above qualities overlap with Buddha Nature, but > > certainly > > > not all of them. Buddha Nature is universal but you could not call > > > it energy (or at least I wouldn't). You can 'connect' with it by > > > becoming aware of it. You could say you can cultivate it, but what > > > you really do is cultivate your awareness of it. You cannot > > > accumulate it in the sense of 'storing it up', but you can > > strengthen > > > your awareness of it. You cannot direct or channel it, you follow > > > it. You cannot use it to heal yourself and others, although the > > > awareness of it has healing in the sense of acceptance and peace. > > > You cannot use it to harm yourself or others, other than > > > intentionally or unintentionally misrepresenting Buddha Nature to > > > others. There is no 'good' or 'bad' Buddha Nature. > > > > > > As you have described Chi, I think it has the same relationship > > with > > > Buddha Nature as I now beleive Chan has with zen. Chi represents a > > > spritualized version of Buddha Nature as does Chan vis-a-vis zen, > > > complete with add-on surpernatural qualities, superstitions, > > wishful > > > thinking and lots of attachment-magnets. > > > > > > (I just now made up the term attachment-magnets. Pretty cool, > > huh? > > > Feel free to use it without feeling obligated to cite me.) > > > > > > JMJM, you didn't comment on my title before when it was Bill!. I > > > just got a new one: Big Fish. How do you like it? Does it have > > good > > > Chi or bad Chi? Can I heal or hurt someone with it? If I can, Al > > > had better WATCH OUT! > > > > > > ...Bill!, Big Fish > > > > > > --- In [email protected] > > <mailto:Zen_Forum%40yahoogroups.com>, Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺å¦â¢Ã§Â²Â¾Ã¦ËŽ > > > <chan.jmjm@> wrote: > > > > > > > > On the contrary, Al. What I meant was, if Bill admitted at the > > > > beginning that Zen is just a mental balancing exercise, then my > > > point is > > > > made. Since his did not agree with my observation, yet his Inner > > > Self > > > > did, he had convinced himself that there could be spirituality. > > > > Spirituality in my dictionary is Buddha Nature. :-) > > > > > > > > There is no one to convert to no where. Just some are more > > > delusional > > > > than others. No offense. > > > > > > > > Fitness63 wrote: > > > > > > > > > > From: Jue Miao Jing Ming - >Hi Bill, Your post was what I > > > expected. If > > > > > you > > > > > had mentioned in the first place that spirituality to you has > > no > > > meaning, > > > > > then I don't have to write that many posts. :-) JM > > > > > > > > > > You sound like a missionary who tries to convert a heathen and > > > then says > > > > > "What could I expect from a heathen" when the conversion fails!! > > > > > > > > > > That is funny when I see things in zen that are just like > > > Christianity > > > > > and > > > > > then it makes me wonder if the cynics are right. > > > > > > > > > > Then again, I learned something from this, so thanks for trying > > > to > > > > > convert > > > > > Bill. You may have missed the big fish but gotten some little > > > ones. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
