Chris,

I took LSD and peyote a number of times in the past. I found these drugs extremely useful in the sense that they clearly show you what your ordinary mind is like by taking you out of it. It is extremely difficult to understand the constraints of ordinary mind from within those constraints. But when one sees those constraints from outside during an LSD experience they can be more easily recognized. That enables one to have a better chance of escaping them later on since one has a better idea of what one is dealing with.

You were wise though to understand the ultimately illusory nature of all the spirits etc. and to disregard them. Unfortunately many who take drugs make the mistake of thinking those things real and ultimately getting lost in delusion, not that most of ordinary mind is not delusion as well of course.

Thanks for sharing your very interesting experience.

Best,
Edgar