Al,

'Accountability' is covered in Buddhism by the concept of karma, and in the
Christian concept of 'as you sow, so shall you reap', or a more positive
spin 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'.  Karma is neither
good nor bad, it's just a cosmic or spiritual version of cause-effect.  So
if you're interested in Zen Buddhism, karma is the ultimate enforcer of
accountability

In zen (small case 'z') however, karma is maya - a teaching tool.  In zen
'accountability' has no meaning.  In zen there is no self.  Who is there to
account for?  If there is no self, actions are Just ACTIONS, they are not
associated with a self. What is there to account for?

I know this will not be a satisfactory answer for you because you equate
no-accountability with social chaos and think that is bad.  Some might
equate no-accountability with complete freedom and think that is good.  Both
of these are wrong because they assign a dualistic quality to
no-accountability.

If this bothers you a lot, and I assume it does since I've seen similar
posts from you before, then you can find the accountability you seek in the
Buddhist concept of karma.

...Bill!