JM,

The whole idea of karma, or fairness or justice in life is an illusion. Zen is dealing with what actually happens and not expecting 'good' things to happen because we are 'good'. True Zen is keeping one's Zen no matter how 'good' or 'bad' things are, no matter what happens. Zen is not doing 'good' in expectation of some reward. There is no 'measure' to whether things are 'better' or 'worse' in Zen. There is no relativity. Things just are as they are. An eternal mystery continuously revealed.

Edgar