I learned a lot about my own mind about two years ago when I had minor
surgery.  I was told before the surgery that I would not remember the doctor
talking to me immediately after I woke up.  After the surgery I woke up and
asked where the doctor was.  Sure enough I was told she had been there and
she told me everything was all right.  I thought this was incredible because
I had no memory of it at all. I laughed and asked the nurse what I had said.
She said I was very relieved and had thanked the doctor many times.  Well,
at least I was in character.

I went home and I really thought about this.  If you can have lapses in
memory and not know it, then what IS your consciousness?  Certainly NOT as
concrete as we might like.