Hi All,

As so happens with zen, small chance encounters with people, books, bamboos
striking bamboo poles etc. can lead to a deeper understanding. In relation to
the 'mountains are mountains, water is water' quote, I like the story I heard
about an American practicioner who came to Japan and sat thru a lecture about
reality/illusion given by the temple's roshi. Admitting his confusion
afterwards, the American asked for some clarification. The roshi explained that
at first mountains are mountains, water is water. Then after some sometime
studying Zen, mountains are no longer mountains , water is not water. Finally,
after satori, mountains are mountains, water is water again. The student said
that he could understand the first two lines but not the third, so the roshi
said, "Mountains are mountains, water is water". Seeing the student's still
confused expression the roshi elaborated, "Mountains are mountains, water is
water".

Mike