> Dave,
>

> Thanks for the clarification.  In the sense that you describe below I agree
> with you.  I was just thinking about their social conservatism - like
> wearing home-spun clothes and avoiding modern appliances.Bill!

I'm fairly sure you're thinking of the Amish. The Amish do indeed shun those
things, but they are also total pacifists and believe in using only land they
need. They are also very forgiving: when a mentally disturbed man killed
several Amish girls, the Amish community reached out to the man's widow.

Quakers are unrelated to the Amish; the Quaker movement (properly known as the
"Society Of Friends") began in England, the Amish in Germany. Quakers believe
that everyone possesses the "inner light" and that God is in all of us. As far
as I know they wear modern clothing and use appliances :)