> Dave,
>
> From your post below I get the impression that you expect zen will somehow
> help you cope with OCD.  It might, but I don't think you should expect zen
> practitioners, especially those you meet on a forum such as this one, to
> have any skills in helping you cope with OCD.
>
> The remarks you relate below would be normal responses from zen students -
> if you're worried about something, the solution is not just to try to 'fix'
> the problem, but not to WORRY  about the problem - just deal with it.  When
> someone said OCD is an illusion, they were correct from a zen point-of-view,
> but from a zen point-of-view most all concepts - such as OCD - are illusory.
> This doesn't mean you aren't really suffering the symptoms of what Western
> medicine calls OCD, but this statement was an overly terse way to re-state
> Buddhism 101 that all suffering is caused by attachment, and the solution to
> suffering is to let go of the attachments.  This is of course especially
> hard for those suffering from OCD because their sense of attachment is
> magnified a thousand-fold.

What disturbed me about this is that the person was not even willing to
consider that my OCD had a medical cause. The quote was something like "if the
illusion that your OCD is caused by a chemical imbalance helps, then go with
it." I found that very insensitive.

> Zen is not a cure-all.  It won't cure diseases such as cancer, but
> practicing zen can help you cope with cancer.  Maybe practicing zen will
> help you cope with OCD.  I really don't know, but I believe it's worth a
> try.  The whole focus of zen is 'letting go' - letting go of your
> attachments, and even your sense of 'self'.  I would expect it would also be
> helpful in assisting you 'let go' of some of the objects of OCD - or at
> least softening their hold on you.

The main problem with OCD is not being able to handle uncertainty. People with
OCD lack something that other people have that allows them to live with doubt.
Since Zen has to deal with uncertainty, I thought it might help in that regard.
I'm not looking for any goal, I know that's not the point of Zen. But I don't
think it can hurt.
DP