Dave,

>From your post below I get the impression that you expect zen will somehow
help you cope with OCD.  It might, but I don't think you should expect zen
practitioners, especially those you meet on a forum such as this one, to
have any skills in helping you cope with OCD.

The remarks you relate below would be normal responses from zen students -
if you're worried about something, the solution is not just to try to 'fix'
the problem, but not to WORRY  about the problem - just deal with it.  When
someone said OCD is an illusion, they were correct from a zen point-of-view,
but from a zen point-of-view most all concepts - such as OCD - are illusory.
This doesn't mean you aren't really suffering the symptoms of what Western
medicine calls OCD, but this statement was an overly terse way to re-state
Buddhism 101 that all suffering is caused by attachment, and the solution to
suffering is to let go of the attachments.  This is of course especially
hard for those suffering from OCD because their sense of attachment is
magnified a thousand-fold.

Zen is not a cure-all.  It won't cure diseases such as cancer, but
practicing zen can help you cope with cancer.  Maybe practicing zen will
help you cope with OCD.  I really don't know, but I believe it's worth a
try.  The whole focus of zen is 'letting go' - letting go of your
attachments, and even your sense of 'self'.  I would expect it would also be
helpful in assisting you 'let go' of some of the objects of OCD - or at
least softening their hold on you.

For what it's worth.Bill!