This reading reminds me the Sunday speech from the mass that send one to
somnolence.  Are you a priest or rabit ED?

--- On Wed, 3/11/10, ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 3 November, 2010, 14:38

> I have seen compassion in people living in the streets towards other
> companions living in the streets too.
Yes, true the world-over: The poor tend to share the little they have with
their fellow humans who are worse off than themselves.
The underlying principle is: Humans feel compassion for humans in similar
circumstances, as it is easier for them to experience and empathize with their
sufferings.

> Some of these people are very tough and yet  beneath that apparent hardness,
> there is compassion.
There is compassion, and there is also the insurance motive.

> The fact of not knowing or being aware of what is going on in one doesn't
> mean that compassion is illusory.
Compassion is a label for a spiritual trait, or it is a label for a natural and
normal evolved human trait, no different than the capacity for fear or anger
are natural and normal evolved traits that aid in the Darwinian struggle for
survival and well-being.

> Compassion ... [is] very real to any human being.
> Mayka
Yes, very human and very necessary for survival in the within-group situation
(but not necessarily in the between-groups situation.)
The reason is simple: In any community, which human would trust, want to work
with, or be the significant other of a human being without compassion?
Not any person in his/her right senses, I would say.
Therefore, compassion in the within-group situation has evolved in humans
because of its survival, well-being and propagation value.