  From: billsm...@hhs1963.org
  To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:09 AM
  Subject: RE: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas

  Anthony,

  I know Thai's drop subject and sometimes even object all the time, but I
  thought it was just because they, like Westerners, are lazy.

  For example, I could ask you: 'Are you hungry?', or I could just ask by
  saying: 'Hungry?' (with a rising tone). That's just laziness, or being
  casual in your speech.

  I do think language does reveal the different values of culture. For
  example in Thai there are only 3 tenses: past, present and future; whereas
  there are many, many adjectives and pronouns that are used to specifically
  identify the speaker's relationship with the one addressed. In English
  there are many (27?) verb tenses and very few special pronouns. This I
  think shows that Westerner's value time more than Asians; whereas Asians put
  more importance on personal relationships than time.

  ...Bill!

  From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf