It is very easy to feel there is no difference between self and other while
alone, whether under a tree outside or in a server room. Maintaining that
understanding while a person that knows you well and is really mad at you and
is in some conflict with you is a different challenge.

I sometimes joke that my koan that I am working on is 'my wife and I are not
two.'

I do find that my getting upset at other people is showing I have some idea
that reality should be different than it is. The nice thing about an intimate
relationship in the zen context is that it is much harder to fool yourself
about your level of maturity than when you are more alone. I personally also
find that while he various forms of moving meditation are a good way to
maintain calm awareness, zazen is unsurpassed for establishing it in the first
place.

Thanks,
Chris Austin-Lane
Sent from a cell phone