Thank you, thank you, thank you Chris. Really interesting :)

Rose

--- On Mon, 11/29/10, Chris Austin-Lane <ch...@austin-lane.net> wrote:

From: Chris Austin-Lane <ch...@austin-lane.net>
Subject: Re: [Zen] New Member
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 29, 2010, 12:14 AM

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Rose P <things_r...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The 'why' seems to me to be a very important question, esp for beginners like
me who are looking for some sort of inspiration (totally not the right word,
but don't have a better one) from those who have been practicing a while (along
the lines of.........life before zen was sometimes like this, life after zen is
mainly like this). Curiously the subject of 'why' seems to be rarely touched
on, with real life examples.

Anything I might say about why would just be making up a story after the fact
which failed to communicate the reality.  And, there's no reason to expect I
particularly understand why I do something.  Someone wrote Three Pillars of
Zen at a time when my father purchased it.  I happened to grow up in a home
with a large metal Thai teaching buddha over the fire place.  Essentially
every thing that has happened in the universe till now comes into play when my
brain is balancing between two proposed courses of actions.

However, I can certainly tell the story of how I started sitting.
About 6 years ago, my son was about to start walking and my daughter was about
to enter kindergarten.  At my family's traditional August beach trip, I read a
Karen Armstrong book about Buddha, and became convinced that my attempt to be
the primary parent and have paid employment was no longer right occupation, and
so I volunteered to be laid off in our next round of layoffs.  I had sometime
around then read the Three Pillars of Zen and Zen and the Art of Archery, so I
decided if I was quitting jobs based on Buddha's path, I should try the seated
meditation as well.  I read an intro on how to meditate by Thich Nhat Hanh and
found a zafu at our neighborhood Buddhist knick-nack shop.  I found a local
sangha I could sit with, Silver Spring Zendo, and started sitting.  My goal
then was to be able to sit for 25 minutes, which was the time of sitting at the
Silver Spring Zendo.  I signed up for an intro to meditation evening at the
zendo about
 2 months in the future and started sitting.  By the time of the intro  came
around, I was able to sit for 25 minutes.

Over the next several years, I sat more and more, and started attending
day-long or 2-3 day retreats.  A big change happened about 1 or 2 years in,
when the group sitting I was attending changed from sitting from 6 am to 7:30
to sitting in the evening, 7 pm - 8 pm or something.  It is a very interesting
difference between sitting first thing in the morning, when your mind is a bit
calmer naturally and sitting at the end of the day when your thoughts are often
full of the days activities.

About 2 years ago, I had to resume full time paid work and we had to move to
California, so I've been more on my own since then.  I make it to a group sit
maybe 2 times a year, and don't really have a personal connection anywhere
here; however, I have just signed up for a week long sesshin this February with
a group that seems nice, that I've been sitting with most often.

As far as what changes the sitting makes to me, it is difficult to say.  The
first thing I noticed is that, although I would have told anyone that I am a
very slow to anger person, in fact the hot flash of anger pulses through my
arms/blood several times a day.  I feel that I see my life reflected in the
sitting.  When I am tense and overwhelmed, my sitting is tense.  When I am
calmer, my sitting is calmer.  I can see the same ego-centric thoughts,
obviously silly when exposed to the light of attention, repeating over and over
again.  At some point, my self-critical habit wears out and seeing the thought
brings a tiny smile at my human reality, rather than the petty indulgence the
thought wants nor the self-attack that is my habitual response.

I like to say, that one learns not to get so upset, even at getting upset.
My wife says I'm much more stubborn and willing to push back since I've been
sitting.  Whether that change is useful or not is I think something we
disagree over.

I find I'm a kinder parent on days when I've sat for 30 minutes in the morning,
but of course I'm a kinder parent when I bike 20 miles or take a nice long bath
as well.  I am less likely to drive by an open parking spot because of being
caught up in thoughts of what I should have typed in that email.  I notice a
bit of space between something happening and my response.  I am starting to
trust that I don't have to rush in and do something - when the time is right to
do something, I will be ready and will do it.  Or someone will - it doesn't
matter that I rescue people myself or they figure it out on their own.

I do see very repeatedly how my "trying to do stuff" is what crinkles up my
self so I miss the basic ease that life has.  Sitting with some goal causes
the nervous system to stress out.  That is just adding oil to the fire.
 Sitting isn't about peace or oneness with all; it's about seeing our own
actual reality as it is.  Sometimes peaceful, often not.  Either way is fine.
 Knowing is enough - we change all the time, will we or not; there is no point
in trying to change; of course we change.

Retreats are something else - the mind really feels less cluttered, the
perceptions seem cleaner.  I wouldn't say I feel all happy clappy, but sadness
is ok when it is just sadness; happiness isn't so unbalanced when it's just
happiness.  The eating is always greatly noticed and wonderful.  I actually
think that living as a stay at home parent, you appreciate retreats/sesshins a
lot more than the average US adult.  Someone cooks for you and you don't have
to pick up after anyone but yourself and no one asks why do they have to get
dressed/take a bath/eat.

Now that I write and re-read that, I think once people have sat for a while,
asking why sit is sort of like asking why do we eat :)
Thank you for the opportunity to explicitly write about myself.

--Chris