Bill,
Exactly! In my case, a long time ago I was in great mental suffering and confusion. I accidentally discovered Zen literature and took to it. I did group zazen and private Zazen and enjoyed both - as well as the chanting, rituals, discipline and non-rational stories. Therefore, if anyone were looking for a path to 'salvation', had become aware of Zen, and asked me for my 'advice', I would say: Certainly, try it, you might like it. --ED --- In [email protected], <billsm...@...> wrote: > ED, Others don't automatically have to embrace zen or Buddhism, or Christianity or Judaism or Humanism or Materialism, etc... It's only if these 'others' are dissatisfied or disappointed with their life that they might seek a remedy. ...Bill! Bill, That may well be the case. Does it automatically follow that others ought to spend enormous amounts of time and energy attempting to attain the same mind-state, and if so, why? --ED > Ed, > > I am convinced that I have met, interacted with and witnessed several > modern-day zen masters that were able to hold Buddha Mind in their > everyday > life: Koyru Roshi, Maezumi Roshi, Dae Soen Sa Nim and Tetsugen (Bernard > Glassman) Roshi before he was a Roshi and was the Senior Monk at ZCLA > under > Maezumi Roshi immediately come to mind. This is not to say I believe they > held Buddha Mind 24x7, but certainly could move to that stage pretty much > whenever they chose to do so. > > I have also interacted with many (100's) others that could hold Buddha > Mind > in varying degrees of a controlled environment - like performing their > housekeeping jobs in the zen center, or while they are at a supermarket > shopping for groceries. > > ...Bill! > Bill, > How would one recognize a Buddha Mind in the real world? Has there been or > is there any roshi in America who has been an exemplar on how to manifest > Buddha Nature in the real world? > --ED > > Lana, > > > > There are times that quietude and solitude are helpful in zen practice, > > especially in the beginning. But eventually you have to bring your > > practice > > into the 'real world'. Zen is everyday life. You should be able to > > maintain Buddha Mind in the middle of Times Square New York City during > > rush > > hour just as well as in a cave in Tibet. > > > > ...Bill!
