Is my understanding correct that you can't "fix" a pool after it's been
created, but you actually have to create a new pool with the optimal
settings of the day, and copy data around to get performance improvements?

That doesn't sound right.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Jason Belec <jasonbe...@belecmartin.com>wrote:

> Haha, it was not derogatory just business term for guys coming out of
> Apple, starting something with the tech and getting acquired for whatever
> reason. Been there myself. However it does not change how end users feel. ;)
>
> As for your options, the change seems to be for pool vs zfs directory, but
> essentially yes. Alot of things are similar.
>

> --
> Jason Belec
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Mar 9, 2014, at 8:54 AM, ylluminate <yllumin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Please do not say things like that about Don. I know him personally and
> that is not what happened.  I'm not going to get into details here as it is
> not appropriate, but it is frankly not what happened.
>
> I'll continue on my path then and work on getting everything off this pool
> and recreate it.  As you can see I used essentially those options on zfs
> create:
> `zfs create -o atime=off -o utf8only=on -o casesensitivity=insensitive -o
> normalization=formD -o compression=lzjb tank/Users`
>
> We'll see if this changes the games once I recreate the pool.
>

> On Sunday, March 9, 2014 8:26:23 AM UTC-4, jasonbelec wrote:
>>
>> Yes to everything you noticed.
>>
>> That said, hoping for anything Don did, is utterly pointless. He walked
>> away with cash in his pocket.
>>
>> Currently pools are being built with commands like this
>>
>>  zpool create -f -O compression=lz4 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O
>> normalization=formD -O atime=off -o ashift=12 pool raidz disk1 disk2 disk3
>>

>> So definitely going to see issues with pools migrated from ZEVO or pools
>> on the old/current MacZFS.
>>
>> I've been moving (copying) all my pool data across here in the lab and
>> for clients for a few weeks as the improvements and data integrity for me
>> are proving worthwhile.
>>
>> Jason
>> Sent from my iPhone 5S
>>
>> On Mar 8, 2014, at 9:46 PM, ylluminate <yllum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Also curious, what has been the best pool and zfs creation args you've
>> seen so far with best results here?  After I get data migrated off of this
>> pool and onto a temp volume I'll recreate the pool and run a test again
>> here in a few days to see if I get some different results.  Nonetheless, I
>> certainly wouldn't think this kind of a disparity in results should be
>> occurring.  I do know that Don did some amazing work on the memory aspects
>> of ZEVO that have yet to be addressed in these implementations due to the
>> problems of xnu memory mgmt, so that might have some bearing as well.
>>
>> --
>>
>> ---
>>
>>  --
>
> ---
>
>  --
>
> ---

"America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic
tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of
their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control
of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat
to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist."
 - Ron Paul, Texas Straight Talk, May 31, 2004

--

---