Well I'm getting hangs that are at least an order of magnitude worse than
ZEVO now.  At one point prior to the memory issues being worked around I
had a lot of hangs where I would have to reboot the system from a remote
ssh session or just hold the power in and hard reboot it.  I am finding
after doing some heavy operations (in this case it was rebuilding about a
100GB iPhoto library) for a prolonged period of time, the hung to the point
where I had to hard reboot.  Some apps were semi responsive, but after
trying to close them, nearly all of them hung as well and force quit
sometimes worked.  Terminal was completely beach balled.  I really had no
way of digging any further to see where the problem might have come about,
but obviously something is going on and locking up the kernel in some very
bad ways right now.  Particularly painful since I could run no zfs commands
to see where it was going haywire.

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 6:46:00 PM UTC-4, jasonbelec wrote:

> Haha. I'm not claiming anything other than results of current testing.
> However for me, importing old pools and updating has not provided the
> performance of starting fresh. All that said, lot of things could be
> different in individual pool creation. Those coming from ZEVO may have
> significantly different experience. ;)
>
> Jason
> Sent from my iPhone 5S
>
> On Mar 9, 2014, at 5:47 PM, Daniel <eyda...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> Is my understanding correct that you can't "fix" a pool after it's been
> created, but you actually have to create a new pool with the optimal
> settings of the day, and copy data around to get performance improvements?
>
> That doesn't sound right.
>

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Jason Belec
> <jason...@belecmartin.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> Haha, it was not derogatory just business term for guys coming out of
>> Apple, starting something with the tech and getting acquired for whatever
>> reason. Been there myself. However it does not change how end users feel. ;)
>>
>> As for your options, the change seems to be for pool vs zfs directory,
>> but essentially yes. Alot of things are similar.
>>

>> --
>> Jason Belec
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Mar 9, 2014, at 8:54 AM, ylluminate <yllum...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Please do not say things like that about Don. I know him personally and
>> that is not what happened.  I'm not going to get into details here as it is
>> not appropriate, but it is frankly not what happened.
>>
>> I'll continue on my path then and work on getting everything off this
>> pool and recreate it.  As you can see I used essentially those options on
>> zfs create:
>> `zfs create -o atime=off -o utf8only=on -o casesensitivity=insensitive -o
>> normalization=formD -o compression=lzjb tank/Users`
>>
>> We'll see if this changes the games once I recreate the pool.
>>

>> On Sunday, March 9, 2014 8:26:23 AM UTC-4, jasonbelec wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes to everything you noticed.
>>>
>>> That said, hoping for anything Don did, is utterly pointless. He walked
>>> away with cash in his pocket.
>>>
>>> Currently pools are being built with commands like this
>>>
>>>  zpool create -f -O compression=lz4 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O
>>> normalization=formD -O atime=off -o ashift=12 pool raidz disk1 disk2 disk3
>>>

>>> So definitely going to see issues with pools migrated from ZEVO or pools
>>> on the old/current MacZFS.
>>>
>>> I've been moving (copying) all my pool data across here in the lab and
>>> for clients for a few weeks as the improvements and data integrity for me
>>> are proving worthwhile.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>> Sent from my iPhone 5S
>>>
>>> On Mar 8, 2014, at 9:46 PM, ylluminate <yllum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also curious, what has been the best pool and zfs creation args you've
> [...]

---