On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 13:46 -0700, Glenn Faden wrote:

> >> Because it doesn't work. See:
> >>
> >> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/autofs/auto_vnops.c#auto_trigger_mount
> >>
> >>    1403     /*
> >>    1404      * Cross-zone mount triggering is disallowed.
> >>    1405      */
> >>    1406     if (fnip->fi_zoneid != getzoneid())
> >>    1407         return (EPERM);    /* Not owner of mount */
> >>

> > This place is easy to fix if you ask me. The real question is what kind
> > of long lasting impact would allowing such a thing have. And this is
> > a conversation I'm very interested in having.
> >

> If this were easy it would have fixed already.

This depends of what "it" is. Your answer seems to be applicable
to the original question. But it doesn't answer mine (hence a
change of a subject line).

Perhaps the answer to my question is -- it is a bad idea and
it shouldn't be implemented. Fine. I still would like to know
the reasons of why it might be considered a bad idea. So if
is no to much to ask of this list -- I'd appreciated being
educated on this subject.

I'm also curious to know if what I'm requesting is reasonable
but I should use a different "feature" to achieve what I want.

To repeat *my* question: would it be possible to have a tunable
parameter that would force all the FS traffic into a global
zone the way this workaround does for NFS:

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/nfs/nfs_subr.c#4985

Since all the processes running in zones are nothing but regular
processes I would like to have an option of making their FS
related requests behaving like ones. Per my explicit request,
of course.

> I think the following is what we really need:
>
> 1. Allow non-global zones to be NFS servers
>
> 2. Allow automounting between zones
>
> I had also tried (and failed) to implement a new kind of automap similar
> to the existing entry
>
>     /net   -hosts
>
> but using zone names instead of hostnames:
>
>    /zone  -zones
>
> I implemented this for Trusted Extensions in 2005 but couldn't fix the
> zone and automounter deadlocks, so it never go putback to OpenSolaris.

Again, the above is all good and fine but it doesn't answer the
question I asked (sorry -- I didn't change the subject before to
avoid such a confusion).

Thanks,
Roman.