From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Doctor McKay
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:12 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: [hlds_linux] Prevent game servers from redirecting players to
alternate servers when players connect through quickplay

Why?

Adding a "Valve servers only" checkbox (that's checked by default) is going
to hurt enough (and only those communities that are playing by the rules;
cheating communities will just steal *more* traffic from the legitimate
communities).

It's now all but impossible to try to retain a client who joined via
Quickplay (and those are the clients we *need* to retain). We can't show
them our website. We can't even allow them to use a menu to jump to another
one of our servers anymore.

Please think about what you're doing. If your intention is to harm the good
communities, you're doing a fine job at it.

Dr. McKay
www.doctormckay.com