Why does it matter if your server is popular though?

Is there money to be made?
Can your friends not join whatever server you're in?
Do you not want to play on other people's servers?
There is already a GLUT of TF2 servers out there, there is no reasonable
expectation that Valve has to make the server landscape a perfectly flat
playing field for every brand-new community who wants to join the party
half a decade late.

You want to make a new community and try to get big and popular? Join the
club, some of us have been here for YEARS doing that - just because it's
harder to get popular now doesn't mean anything.

This move might go "against server operators", but at the same time it
simplifies life for the hundreds of thousands of people who DON'T run a
server, and would rather push one button and be playing a video game,
without worrying about whatever server they'll be redirected to, or some
admin that will ban you for "Insubordination", or for wearing the wrong
clan tag (seriously go read the rules for some of these servers:
https://firepoweredgaming.com/forums/page/rules and try not to laugh).

Server operators are not the only people in the TF2 community, and
shockingly enough, may not even be the most important people in the
community anymore, especially post F2P.

Shoot the messenger if you want, continue to insult me if that helps your
arguments, but this is a lot of anger that stems from the fact our servers
may not be as full (of people who won't return) as we like. It's a pretty
selfish sounding complaint.