On Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 18:15:09 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 17:04:24 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
Obviously XeLaTeX is the
correct medium, but AsciiDoc is acceptable as a second best.

During the editing of the Russian translation of TDPL, I've worked in MS Word as well. Probably its main advantage is its collaboration tools: you can see who added or deleted which parts, and toggle between visible edits and final text easily. You can also add comments to a text range; by passing the document along, this made possible even short conversations.

What would be the equivalent of such collaboration in a non-MS-Word-based workflow?

Well, if you do the document with Latex on git (or some similar
version control), you get most of the same stuff.  Latex has a
comment tool where you can do margin comments if you wish, and of
course you can also do comments in the 'code' if you want - they
don't show up in the document at all.  Heck, I am sure there is
a package for everything in Latex if you look hard enough.

A MS-word document with 'track changes' on, edited by multiple
people, is the greatest eyesore known to humanity. I still don't
understand why anyone who had a choice between Latex and MS-Word
would pick MS-Word for anything longer than 25 pages...

Just my personal opinion as one who recently finished a 200 page
thesis in Latex, and is now working for a company where we do all
our internal documents in Word. Latex certainly has its ugly warts,
but it is so nice for lengthy document1.