On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 21:41:24 UTC, Mike wrote:
* "Minimal Runtime" is the building block of systems programming. If this is not a core feature of a language, it will never compete with C. Systems programmers in my field need to incrementally opt-in to features in a pay-as-you-go fashion to make precise tradeoffs for their unique requirements and hardware platforms. Rust is the only modern language that I'm aware of that's getting this right.

Whiley is in early stages, but I believe they have optional Rust-like memory management implemented (proof-of-concept?) to enable embedded programming situations.

http://whiley.org/2016/05/28/reference-lifetimes-in-whiley/

It isn't a production ready language, but well worth following.