Wow, what skepticism in this thread!  I'll admit that I don't use my eye
tracker as often as split testing, but I do feel compelled to offer a
more positive view on the matter.

The #1 utility of the eye tracker, for me, is in helping me understand
the user's cognition during a test session. With real time gaze data on
a 2nd observer only screen, I don't have to work as hard on eliciting
verbal protocol.  I have also used the eye gaze reports to ask the user
questions after the session -- a methodology others have developed more
fully.

Heck, I even spotted "button gravity" in my lab:
http://flickr.com/photos/andyed/450579101/

Bruno: Regarding mouse movements, it's clear that eye movements are much
higher signal, but mouse position has more data than twiddled fingers.
I've summarized research on this on my blog and in a recent publication:
http://alwaysbetesting.com/abtest/index.cfm/2007/4/29/Eye-Tracking-vs-Mouse-Tracking

There's a longstanding and largely unsuccessful effort to generate
quantitative quality metrics from eye-tracking data. That said, distance
traveled by eye has been used productively in LukeW's work on forms,
presented at Jared's Web App Summit recently.  I've also been able to
show good design leads to more efficient scan paths,
http://flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/2175663626/.

I won't dispute that many of the insights from eye-tracking are fairly
obvious (ex. no headings in a long menu?
http://flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/2177600531/), but there's
something to be said for how well the visualizations engage consumers.

To help with these basic types of insights, we've developed a vision
simulation in a browser, "Stomper Scrutinizer" that helps reveal the
multiple fixation requirements of left aligned form labels for example.

Andy