Availability - fair enough, if you want to define it that way. But then, you
need to be consistent with how you define it.

But I don’t think it’s ridiculous for me not to count them as “available”.

The fueling stations were all “pilot” and not considered “retail” stations.
Retail stations required credit card capability, and had other standards to get
funding, set by the state. That didn’t happen until around the time the Hyundai
was released.  And I wasn’t allowed to fill my Toyota at any place but these
retail stations.

You want to define it in your way, fine, know know that the industry and the
state look at it differently. Despite the marketing PR of the OEMs.

“Modern” batteries - We differ on definition of modern EV versus not. I view
the not- modern ones to be the ones that were common in the late-1800s to the
early 1900s.

Besides the chemistry of the battery, how else do they differ?  How would you
view those BEVs or fuel cells that use completely different chemistries?

- Comparable cars - I think you misunderstood what I said. I didn’t say the
FCEVs were leading BEVs. I just said that the vehicles weren’t comparable. Has
nothing to do with energy storage mechanism.

No need to be insulting.

As far as my comment on the adoption curves of BEV v. FCEV, again, you
misunderstand what I said, or even the meaning of the data.

Maybe this chart will help.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-09/ab8_report_2020.pdf

Page 21 - Figure 8 - Analysis of Historical FCEV and BEV Early-Market
Deployment Rates

Number of stations - where did you find the incorrect numbers at DOE?

If you look at the above document, 31 stations in 2017, 39 in 2018, 44 in 2019,
58 in 2020 (given date of document, this would have to be projected), and
projected 2021 of 62.

These numbers have changed somewhat, and there are other sources that will have
updates.

Of course, this has nothing to do with what is “better”, only what might work
for one person over another, which is more location specific in the short term.

But five new stations since 2017? You must have misread the data.

In comparing infrastructure numbers, what would be interesting is a comparison
on an apples to apples basis. What’s the fueling/recharging capacity that is
equivalent? I know it’s been done someplace.

One thing you must also recognize is that subsidies for the two technologies
have been very uneven (I think something like a 5:1 or more ratio). Again, not
a factor in “which one is better”.

A further interesting comparison is the pathway to self-sufficiency for
infrastructure. I know the fuel cell industry has done it, but don’t know if
there is a similar path on the BEV side. That COULD impact a consumer’s view.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone