On 05 Jul 2011, at 01:43, B Soroud wrote:

but to say something positive... I like your formulation of religion as argument by authority.

Religion = argument by authority.

Now there are two forms of spirituality as barely distinguished from religion: theoretical spirituality and existential spirituality.

Theoretical spirituality as indemonstrable cosmology/metaphysics/ teleology generally grounded in the argument by authority on the one hand, or by a rationalist mode of procedure on the other.

There can be existential spirituality without the inferences, postulates, and explanations of the theoretical assertions grounded in revelation or argument by authority..... and perhaps argument by persuasiveness.... i.e. the rhetoric of logos, pathos, and ethos....... this can be a subtle and sublimated form of argument by authority.

It ios never the case in science (well understood). It is always like "do you see what I see?" + "do you guess what I guess"? Science is only question. The idea that science can provide an answer in metaphysics, appears only by science abandon of metaphysics and theology. Science start from doubts and leads only to more doubts. I would write fake-religion = fake science = argument of authority = bandits at work. The opposition between science and religion is the big delusion, which betrays what science modestly is, and what religion modestly is.