On 7/3/2011 8:56 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:35 AM, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com <mailto:selvakr1...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com
    <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM, selva kumar
        <selvakr1...@gmail.com <mailto:selvakr1...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            Is consciousness causally effective ?

        If it is not causally effective, then you must explain what
        caused the word "consciousness" to enter our  lexicon and what
        caused the field of pihlosophy of mind, and all the various
        books on the subject of consciousness.  The dirty secret of
        epiphenominalism (the theory that consciousness is casually
        inert) is that if it were a true theory, the theory of
        epiphenominalism would be entirely private and unsharable.
         The fact that a theory was generated and shared to explain
        consciousness proves consciousness has effects.  Even the fact
        that we are discussing it now in this thread can be taken as
        evidence of its causal effects.

        Jason

    Then by your definition..Consciousness is our ability to think ?

No, my point is that if you are thinking about consciousness, then what else could it have been but consciousness that caused you to think about it?

That would be the material cause in Aristotles sense. But material causes don't form causal chains.

Brent

If consciousness had no effects, then we would not think about it, talk about it, or write e-mails about it.

Jason