On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is consciousness causally effective ?

If it is not causally effective, then you must explain what caused the word
"consciousness" to enter our  lexicon and what caused the field of
pihlosophy of mind, and all the various books on the subject of
consciousness.  The dirty secret of epiphenominalism (the theory that
consciousness is casually inert) is that if it were a true theory, the
theory of epiphenominalism would be entirely private and unsharable.  The
fact that a theory was generated and shared to explain consciousness proves
consciousness has effects.  Even the fact that we are discussing it now in
this thread can be taken as evidence of its causal effects.

Jason