it just occurred to me that some of these theory of everything people might
find a little story of Voltaire's called Micromegas interesting...

http://www.wondersmith.com/scifi/micro.htm

"He promised to give them a rare book of philosophy, written in minute
characters, for their special use, telling all that can be known of the
ultimate essence of things, and he actually gave them the volume ere his
departure. It was carried to Paris and laid before the Academy of Sciences;
but when the old secretary came to open it, the pages were blank.

'Ah!' said he. 'Just as I expected." (Micromegas)