On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:21 AM, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

I agree with you vis a vis Craig.  But I think functionalism may well allow
different kinds of consciousness (and I'm not clear that Bruno's version
does).  That we "hear" an inner narration of our thoughts is probably an
evolutionary accident arising because it was efficient to utilize some of
the same brain structure used for hearing when thinking in language (c.f.
Julian Jaynes).  If we were making an artificial intelligent being we could
chose to have separate hardware and software perform the perception and the
cogitation.  Would that being be conscious?  I'd say so.  It could certainly
act consciously.  Would it be conscious in the same way we are?  No.
Similarly with vision and visual imagination.
I'd say that if it produced the same outputs for the same inputs, it
would be conscious in the same way.

I'd agree, but my view derives from noting that there are "outputs" and "inputs" within the brain, between different modules. So bodily motions and speech are not the only "outputs".