On Aug 3, 9:48 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'd say that if it produced the same outputs for the same inputs, it
> >> would be conscious in the same way.
>
> > You're not saying that something like voicemail is conscious in the
> > same way that a live operator saying the same words (impersonating the
> > script and function of the voicemail) though, right? At what point
> > does an advanced voicemail system become conscious?
>
> Obviously I can't have a conversation with a voicemail system - it's
> just a recording, it doesn't understand what I'm saying, and it
> therefore can't respond in a humanlike way. If it could carry out a
> normal conversation for a few minutes then it would probably be
> conscious.

It would be natural to assume that with the level of technology at the
moment, anything that you can converse with normally is probably
conscious, but that doesn't mean anything as far as what we are
talking about. Just because you might think something is probably
conscious doesn't mean that it tells you about whether or not a given
hypothetical technology can feel or understand anything.

Craig