On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> So you agree you might think something is conscious because of the way
>> it behaves but it may not actually be conscious? I thought you said
>> before the whole question is meaningless.
>
> The question is meaningless because what I assume, infer, guess,
> deduce, etc based upon something other than me can change from moment
> to moment and because none of those thoughts and assumptions
> necessarily mean anything as far as determining whether the person in
> a coma is going to wake up or not, or whether a computer, voicemail
> system, or YouTube was ever alive itself or was always just a
> recording.

The question is whether something that isn't conscious can
consistently behave like something that is conscious. If you answer
"yes" then you believe that you can't deduce consciousness from
behaviour. If you answer "no" then you believe that you can deduce
consciousness from behaviour.

--
Stathis Papaioannou