On 8/6/2011 3:48 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 06.08.2011 12:27 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Craig
Weinberg<whatsons...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Consciousness isn't provided. It's not a service. It's like saying
that mass is being provided to an object.

My position is that consciousness occurs necessarily if the sort of
activity that leads to intelligent behaviour occurs. This is not
immediately obvious, at least to me. I assume therefore that it is
not true: that it is possible to have intelligent behaviour (or
neuron-like behaviour) without consciousness. This assumption is
then shown to lead to absurdity.

How do you define intelligent behaviour? For example in the book

Dario Floreano and Claudio Mattiussi, Bio-Inspired Artificial Intelligence: Theories, Methods, and Technologies, 2008

there is a nice chapter about immune systems. I would say that the behaviour of an immune system is very intelligent. What does it mean then?

Are you asking if it means the immune system is conscious? I don't know enough about the immune system to be sure, but I don't think the immune system cogitates. Having faced several infections, does the immune system generalize or abstract so as to effective against new different infections? If it does I'd say it is intelligent. That wouldn't imply that it is conscious of itself though. I think that requires awareness of others and I doubt your immune system is aware of mine. Bruno will probably argue that it is conscious, since it is probably Lobian. But I think this is stretching the meaning of "conscious" too far.

Brent

Evgenii

P.S. The paragraph about intelligence from the book above
http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/03/intelligence.html