On 07 Aug 2011, at 01:24, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru>

Let us forget for a moment machines and take for example some
other biological creatures, for example even insects. How would
you characterize the behaviour of insects? Is it intelligent or

Yes, I would say that insects have a limited intelligence. Why
not? And I imagine they also have a limited consciousness.

That's my personal feeling too. Recently I have updated the arachnid
an octopus in the Löbian (self-conscious) class of entity.

I came to that possible conclusion by looking at video like this, and
 then making some experiment with spider myself:

It is not the move the spider, but its apparent induction that there
is a spider behind the mirror, and its apparent shock discovering
there is none.

Take this with some grain on salt, but in matter of consciousness I
prefer to attribute too much than not enough.

On the other hand you can take some Khepera robots for example

and then to use a mirror as well. It would be an interesting experiment as well.

The question here what it could mean, "limited consciousness" in the case of a spider.

Jeffrey Gray foresees a role for consciousness as a general purpose comparator system for late error detection. This presumably give us an opportunity to reprogram ourselves by means of conscious experience. Spiders on the other hand seem to be hardwired, so it is unclear what an advantage conscious experience could give them.