2012/3/6 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

> On 3/6/2012 8:12 AM, David Nyman wrote:
>
>> On 5 March 2012 23:50, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
>>
>>  It's unclear as to whom "you" and "your" refers to.
>>>
>> Let me suggest a heuristic.  Assume that any given instance of
>> experience (by which I mean just whatever is necessary to permit some
>> sort of determination to be made) is selected at random from the class
>> of all such moments. All personal-indexical references can then be
>> taken as referring to the conjunction of this instance and whatever
>> "personal history" is implied by its content and structure.
>>
>> This heuristic serves to justify the "expectation", from the
>> perspective of any such instance, of its substitution by other such
>> instances.  Insofar as such substitutions imply "continuations" of the
>> present moment, they can be considered as constituting part of the
>> "future" of a particular personal history.  If this heuristic is
>> applied consistently to the various thought experiments, (with the
>> usual allowance for "measure") it should be obvious that "diary
>> entries" recoverable within any given experiential instance will
>> typically record precisely the sort of prior uncertainty or
>> indeterminacy, with respect to the present instance, that Bruno is
>> talking about.
>>
>> David
>>

> I don't think I have a problem with the indeterminacy.  Consider in your
> scenario that we duplicated a video camera instead of a person.  When look
> at what the cameras in M and W have recorded in one we see pictures of
> Helsinki followed by pictures of Moscow and from the other we see pictures
> of Helsinki followed by pictures of Washington.  The ambiguity comes when,
> before the duplication, we ask, "What will this camera record?".  "This" is
> ambiguous just as "he" is ambiguous.

The question is indexical... it it not "he" but "I"... in the thought
experiment *you* are the one duplicated, and you ask yourself your own
expectation for your next moment. Maybe what is "you" is not well defined
for something outside of you (us ;) ) but I expect you know what you are,
and feel... and hence "you" is well defined for yourself from your POV.

Quentin