On 4/5/2012 5:37 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
Stathis and Brent,

I'll respond to both at once since they are the same core objection:

"Why does feeling have to have "purpose"?"

"I can't even conceive of what it would mean for them
to be justified. "

They have to be justified and have a purpose because that is what a
deterministic universe would require.

You apparently think you can just make words mean whatever you want. A deterministic universe requires that that things be DETERMINED. It does require purpose or justification.

Brent

Otherwise I can just say that a
deterministic universe includes libertarian free will, ghosts&
goblins, whatever. What business does a feeling have being in a
universe that is essentially a very sophisticated clock?

Craig