On Apr 2, 6:02 pm, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Why? If you program a machine to believe that it has free will, how
> > > would such a belief have any effect on its behavior? How could it
> > > improve its performance in any way?
>
> > If you program a machine to form explanatory and predictive models of the
> > world, then it
> > will try to form a model of itself.  But it would be difficult and
> > extremely wasteful,
> > from a survival standpoint, to provide it the introspective data necessary
> > to model its
> > own physical internal decision processes.  Failing to have this
> > introspection it may come
> > to foolishly believe in something it calls 'free will'.
>
> Why would there be an experience associated with any decision
> processes and how would that experience not be free will?

It *could* not be free will because FW is a capacity, not a feeling,
and feeling you have the capacity doens;t mean you actually
have. Feelings can be wrong.

> If I have an experience of making decisions, then how would believing
> that experience is real or an illusion have the effect that we see on
> readiness?

huh? readiness?

> Readiness is measurable. Being influenced by the nonsense idea of
> illusory free will impacts performance negatively. If free will were
> truly an illusion, there could be no possibility of our belief in it

> (belief being something which is only meaningful if it pertains to
> contributing to making choices using free will)

So you say. Beliefs can influence deterministic decisions. You might
want to call that "meaningless", but that is just your juedgment.