On 30 Aug 2012, at 19:19, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/30/2012 10:03 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 29 Aug 2012, at 22:30, meekerdb wrote:

From experience I know people tend not to adopt it, but let me recommend a distinction. Moral is what I expect of myself. Ethics is what I do and what I hope other people will do in their interactions with other people. They of course tend to overlap since I will be ashamed of myself if I cheat someone, so it's both immoral and unethical. But they are not the same. If I spent my time smoking pot and not working I'd be disappointed in myself, but it wouldn't be unethical.

I'm not sure I understand. "not working" wouldn't be immoral either. Disappointing, yes, but immoral?

In my definition it would be immoral because I expect myself to work. It's personal. It doesn't imply that it would be immoral for you to not work. But it would be unethical for you to not work and to be supported by others. That's the point of making a distinction between moral (consistent with personal values, 1P) and ethical (consistent with social values, 3p).

OK, then I disagree (by which I mean that I am OK with you).
By "OK with you" I mean you are free to use personal definition orthogonal to the use of the majority.
By "orthogonal" I mean ...
Hmm...

BTW:
I would not relate pot with not working. Some people don't work and smoke pot, and then blame pot for their non working, but some people smokes pot and work very well. The only researcher I knew smoking pot from early morning to evening, everyday, since hies early childhood, was the one who published the most, and get the most prestigious post in the US.

But a single example doesn't tell one much about social policy. I certainly wouldn't conclude that smoking lots of pot will improve your academic production.

You are right (in the usual sense of the words).

As a math teacher, since I told students that blaming pot will not been allowed for justifying exam problems, some students realize that they were using pot to lie to themselves on their motivation for study. It is so easy.

Likewise, if we were allowed to drive while being drunk, after a while the number of car accidents due to alcohol would probably diminish a lot, because the real culprit is not this product or that behavior, but irresponsibility, which is encouraged by treating adults like children. I think.

It's also encouraged by being drunk.

True, but I don't see the relevance.