On 11/5/2012 1:19 PM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King

In the end, we must accept a truth, so in the end,
all truth is pragmatic. We must cast our own vote.
Dear Roger,

Are you familiar with Kenneth Arrow's impossibility theorem <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow%27s_impossibility_theorem> and the voting paradox ?

http://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2008/02/12/game-theory-tuesdays-someone-is-going-to-be-unhappy-an-illustration-of-the-voting-paradox/

"The executive summary is that whenever there are at least 2 people and at least 3 options, it's impossible to aggregate individual preferences without violating some desired conditions, like Pareto efficiency. You either have to accept that society will not act rationally like an individual would, or you have to accept that society's preferences will exactly mimic one person's preferences. In a sense, that makes the individual a dictator."

I suspect that this impossibility might explain why people are so easily seduced by arguments like Einstein's quip: "The moon still exists if I am not looking at it!" We always over-value our own individual contribution to the definiteness of properties that we observe in the physical universe. It also might have something to do with theproblem of Free Will <http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/> and the absurd implications of the Quantum Suicide argument <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality>.

--
Onward!

Stephen