On Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:02:49 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

>    What about all of the other possible theories of history?
>>

> This series isn't a theory, it's just recent US history focusing on the
> deeper background of the people involved. He shows how even the generals
> disagreed with Truman that dropping the A-Bombs was necessary, how the
> Russians did the bulk of the fighting against the Nazis (they lost like
> 23,000,000 people to our 418,500
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties). Which is ironic
> considering that right wingers now try to claim that Hitler was some kind
> of  Marxist (of course the opposite is true).
>

>> What makes Stone's theory any more credible than my own? Is it because he
>> is famous? Famous people are well known to be just as wrong as any one else.
>>

> There's no theory. Watch the series sometime.
>
> Craig,
>
>     My point is that there is no such a thing as an objective account of
> history.

Of course. Oliver Stone pretty much says that too.

> Any account of the history of the world, where many people and things are
> involved in many processes at many diverse levels, will be biased because
> one can only take a point of view that generates an integrates "sense". The
> universe is not simple and we should never expect that any simple narative
> of it is "the whole story".
>
>     Oliver Stone is an artist, not a divine teller of truths. Stop the
> idolatry, please.

Who is idolazing? I'd give the show a B+ to B most of the time. It's not
perfect, but it's got a lot of things in there that I had vaguely swimming
around in my mind put into a timeline-episode context that makes it easier
to think about. For the record, I's say that Stone's stuff is merely
adequate a lot of the time. He's no Kubrick, but he tries hard and I
believe he thinks he's being honest.

Craig