From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-26, 14:06:43
Subject: Re: Ten top-of-my-head arguments against multiverses

On 26 Dec 2012, at 16:17, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi Bruno Marchal
>
> It all boils down to this: is something that is mathematically true
> necessarily physically true ?

I cannot even understand what that could mean.

I don't think that any mathematical truth is ever physically true. It
is a category error (a point where I agree with Bill)

I don't think there is a general notion of "mathematical truth", nor
do I think there is a primitive notion of "physical truth".

Assuming comp, we do have, by a sort of miracle, a rather clear notion
of truth: arithmetical truth. It is quasi definable, and everybody
seems to agree on the elementary base (except sunday philosophers).

Assuming comp, and assuming there is no logical flaw in UDA, we can
bet on truth = arithmetical truth, and then derive, in the UDA way,
and using the canonical self-reference logic, the witnessing of the
existence of a rich psychology, and theology, including physics and
cosmogonies.

But physics is described as the theory predicting result of
observation, and observation is described by the interaction of a
universal machine relatively to its most probable universal
neighborhood.

Given that the basic reality is arithmetic, it is not astonishing that
the physical has mathematical aspect.

It is even normal, here, that the psychological and theological hide
their mathematical aspect, as they are not completely available to us
from our perspective.

> This question can be restated as "are mathematical truth and
> pragmatic truth
> the same ?"

The truth that your government tries to hide to you: 1 + 1 = 2.

The pragmatic truth: 1 + 1 = 2 + taxes.

> IMHO No, because theory can be wrong but what works works.

Which reminds me what Charles said on the FOR, or FOAR, list:

In theory, practice and theory fit well.
In practice, they don't.

The problem is that, in practice, we have only theories, and when you
say 'what works works,' you are just betting on your oldest theories
which have never been disconfirmed by experience (like the ground can
support me).
(Of course, "you" are (1p) betting from your ultimate ineffable
undoubtable (but hidden from the public) conscious lever).

So we can only propose, publicly, but even to ourselves on any matter,
theories, and we can only live the "pragmatic", which is itself the
result of billions years, if not much longer complex universal machine
histories in arithmetic. And we can only measure the imbalance between
what we live and what we theorize (even theorizing on what we have
theorized unconsciously in some possible past).

Keep in mind this theory protects the person from any reductionism,
and is eventually far closer to Plato, Plotinus, and perhaps Descartes
and Leibniz than to Aristotle, Metaphysical Naturalism, Physicalism,
Weak Materialism, which is unfortunately often presented as the
rationalist position. Today, we have theories and facts which makes
Plato more rational than Aristotle, imo, for the big picture.

And then the Church Turing thesis, or Emil Post law, rehabilitates the
more Pythagorean form of (Neo)Platonism.

If you don't like Number, you can use Word instead. The primitive
ontology needs only to be Turing complete, equivalently, capable of
proving all true sigma_1 sentences, as I am sure you and everybody
can. That will already contains the computation involving more rich
observers, not only sigma_1 complete, but L?ian, which means that
they can know that they are Turing universal, and that they can get
the "frightening" consequences (no prevention against crashing,
looping, dreaming, hallucinating, etc. DBf, in G*.

The physical becomes the border of the number's observability (=
bettable prediction for measurement) ability.

Arithmetic is an Indra net of universal entities not only reflecting
each others, but interacting in all possible ways. Universal numbers
can put masks and stop recognizing themselves, getting sleepy for
awhile. This often makes shit happens more than usually and this can
grow up to awaken them, momentarily, sometimes only relatively, etc.

Bruno