From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-15, 08:47:49
Subject: Re: MWI as an ontological error, it should be TwoAspects Theory

On 13 Jan 2013, at 20:05, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:57:48 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 12 Jan 2013, at 13:01, Telmo Menezes wrote:

Hi Roger,

How can you have a wave without some notion of spatial/temporal dimensions?

I don't see why we cannot have purely mathematical waves (easily related to
lines and circles),

Lines and circles are spatial geometries.

They can, but usually I take them as deeper than geometry, but then "geometry"
is a word having many interpretation too.

and physical waves, like water wave or tsunami, or sound waves.
A propagating wave is a sort of oscillation contagious to its neighborhood.

All of those are spatio-temporal sensory experiences and presences.

I don't think that an experience can be spatio-temporal. With comp I argued
that space-time emerges from coherence conditions on "deep
dreams/computations".
It looks like you are working in a theory which assume some primitive space
time.

A purely mathematical wave which is independent of all spatial or temporal
representation can only be a figurative wave. If you have concretely real
substances in 'space' or concretely real experiences in 'time' then you can
have a figurative language which refers to the wavy qualities which we infer
through sense as being correlated on either side of the public-private range of
presentation. This wavy-ness is an idea, a metaphorical figure which we use to
re-present the commonality which we understand internally but as an
exteriorized, generic symbol.

As you know, with comp, it is the "concrete real substance" which belong to the
(quite useful locally) metaphors.

Once we have formalized this synthetic wave figure quantitatively, we can do
all kinds of incredible things with it, just as a painter uses a certain kind
of brushstroke. But the strokeness isn't a thing itself - it has no power to do
anything by itself, it is pure fiction (albeit fiction which is informative
about sense on all levels of realism, but only from the fictional 3p voyeur
perspective).

That is coherent with non-comp, indeed. But I have no faith in substances.

Bruno

Craig

Summing waves gives arbitrary functions (in some functional spaces), so simple
wave can be see as the base in the space of "arbitrary" functions (for
reasonable functional spaces, there are any natural restrictions here).

The whole problem with QM, is that the wave's physical interpretation is an
amplitude of probability, and that we can make them interfere as if they were
physical. But in MWI, the quantum waves are just the map of the relative
accessible physical realities. An electronic orbital is a map of where you can
find an electron, for an example.
I would say it is something physical (even if it emerges from the non physical
relations between numbers).

Bruno