Hi guys,

Theology is just a form of philosophy, therefore is a rational pursuit,
say like psychology or sociology or engineering mechanics.

From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-22, 10:50:27
Subject: Re: HOW YOU CAN BECOME A LIBERAL THEOLOGIAN IN JUST 4 STEPS.

On 21 Jan 2013, at 22:08, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/21/2013 8:53 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> You confuse theology and post 500 occidental use of the field.

There is no such field of study. There are experts in literature and experts in
the behavior of bronze age tribes but there are no experts in the "field" of
theology because there is no knowledge there to impart. There is no there
there.  And I don't understand your grudge with occidental civilization,
western religions are not significantly stupider than eastern religions.

> Theology is mainly perverted since 523

Speaking of confusion, I am using the word "theology", as you admit in the
above, as it has been used for the last 1500 years. If you insist on redefining
common words (like God and theology) and give them your own private meaning
then confusion is inevitable; we need a language to communicate and a language
known to only one person is useless.

> Theology did come up with the idea that there is a reality,

That is one ridiculous statement! With or without theology people had no
trouble figuring out that there is a reality, so did snails.

> and that reason can unravelled it, or a part of it.

I didn't think it was possible but that statement is even more ridiculous!
Science had to fight every inch of the way against theology and theologians and
the fight still isn't over. If you can't immediately figure out how something
can be the way it is theology advises you to just give up and say "God did it";
in other words theologians are intellectually lazy, but fortunately scientists
are not. But they do have something in common, they both love mysteries.
Theologians love mysteries because they like to wallow in ignorance, scientists
love mysteries because it gives them something new to try to figure out. That's
why particle physicists would be absolutely delighted if the LHC produced
something mysterious that contradicted something they thought they knew and
will be very disappointed if nothing like that shows up in one of their
detectors. Can you imagine a theologian being delighted to find something that
contradicted his faith? I can't.

> What is your theory?

That theologians are so dumb they can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

To see a prefect example of a theologian who is apparently a graduate of The
John K. Clark school of Liberal Divinity see:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/the-way-of-the-agnostic/

Gary Gutting seems quite good to me. Nice paper.

Bruno

I didn't bother to comment since there a plenty of good comments already, but
it exemplifies many features of liberal theological thought:

Some things can never be explained by science; and if science hasn't explained
it then religion does.

Religion "gives access to a rich and fulfilling life of love" (which is
implicitly denied the irreligious).

Atheists have to prove God doesn't exist.

There is something called 'understanding' that is better than knowledge and you
can have for free

Brent

  John k Clark

No virus found in this message.