Hi Bruno Marchal,

When I read the Bible, it is a subjective act,
but not my own subjective act alonw, it is
contained in the subjectivity of the Holy Spirit.

From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-27, 06:36:10
Subject: Re: Facts vs values

On 25 Jan 2013, at 13:33, Roger Clough wrote:

I have no conflict being a scientist when I deal with science, and being
    a Christian when I deal with the Bible.

Of course we differ on this. For me "science" does not exist, only scientific
attitude. And I consider that the scientific attitude is even more important
with respect to faith than to observation, but this of course has been
jeopardize when we have been imposed the argument per authority in the
spiritual field, and I think this explain intolerance, religion wars, and a lot
of unecessary suffering.

Or with science when I deal with science and with aesthetics when
    I visit an art museam. Or go to a concert.

Or with being a scientist when I deal with the Big Bang
    and being a Christian when I read Genesis. Two different
    accounts, from two different realms, of the same event.

Science has its own realm of validity in the realm of facts,
    but has no place -not even a foothold-- in the world of values.

I agree with this, but values can add to science, not contradict it, or it
leads to bad faith and authorianism.
same for art: it extends science but does not oppose to it.

The difference between a fool and a wise man is in knowing the difference.

I am not sure. If you separate science from religion, you attract the
superstition and the wishful thinking. It might have a role, but that can be
explained. And then, for many that difference will make science into a
pseudo-religion. Ideal science is just ideal honesty/modesty.

Bruno

- Roger Clough