Hi Bruno Marchal

My view that science and religion are mutually exclusive
is certainly not true of catholics, who at least since
Aquinas, believe that truth is reason-based. And even
Luther mellowed a bit in later years against his harsh view
of reason (which opposes faith).

But, having said that, nevertheless I hold with Stephan Jay Gould's position,
that of

"Non-overlapping magisteria"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlapping_magisteria
"Non-overlapping magisteria (NOMA) is the view advocated by Stephen Jay Gould
that
science and religion each have "a legitimate magisterium, or domain of teaching
authority," and
these two domains do not overlap.[1] He suggests, with examples, that "NOMA
enjoys
 strong and fully explicit support, even from the primary cultural stereotypes
of hard-line
traditionalism" and that it is "a sound position of general consensus,
established by long
 struggle among people of goodwill in both magisteria."[2]
Despite this there continues to be disagreement over where the boundaries
between the two magisteria should be.[3]