On Friday, April 12, 2013 2:09:05 PM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013  Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>>  >>> There is nothing in numerology or astrology which is even remotely
>>> as flaky as modern cosmology.

>> values rationality can take anything that Craig Weinberg says seriously.
>>

>> > That is not valid.
>>

> If it's not valid then I do see how somebody who values rationality can
> take anything that Craig Weinberg says seriously. But no, I believe I'm a
> better judge of what i think than you are and I really think that  I don't
> see how anybody who values rationality can take anything that Craig
> Weinberg says seriously.

He is saying that your reasoning is not valid in jumping to conclusions
about what constitutes a guarantee of irrationality...not about whether you
are genuinely incredulous or not.

>> > It is not because a statement made by an entity is not correct that all
>> statements (or all reasonings) made by that entity is not correct (or
>> valid).
>>

> Given the fact that you are mortal and only have a finite amount of time
> to listen to anybody say anything if you knew that somebody passionately
> believed that the earth was flat would you really carefully listen to what
> he had to say about ANYTHING? Belief in astrology and numerology is just as
> bad as a flat earth.

Are you really so inundated with people wanting you to believe that the
world is flat? Even though I find your views preposterously narrow on many
things, I don't take that to mean that you cannot be right about some
things. What you are defending has a name - it is "pre-judice". The idea
that you need not actually consider other people's views before deciding
that they are wrong.

> > To be sure, I would not defend that precise statement made by Craig,
>>

> I would sincerely hope that you wouldn't defend a statement that was even
> approximately like the one made by Craig, otherwise I've been on the wrong
> list for over a year.
>
> > Many scientists have rejected the existence of lucid dreams, only
>> because it was published in a journal of parapsychology.
>>

> I have no trouble with the idea of lucid dreaming, even Feynman said he
> could do it in the 1930's when he was a student, but given their track
> record I wouldn't trust one word I read about anything in a journal of
> parapsychology, so there is no point in my reading them.

The point was not whether or not you happen to deem lucid dreaming to be
possible, it is that the scientific status quo was wrong in this instance
and the journal of parapsychology was right. You don't seem to be able to
generalize the implications of your prejudice.