On Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:47:51 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 12 Apr 2013, at 20:09, John Clark wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013  Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>>  >>> There is nothing in numerology or astrology which is even remotely
>>> as flaky as modern cosmology.

>> values rationality can take anything that Craig Weinberg says seriously.
>>

>> > That is not valid.
>>

> If it's not valid then I do see how somebody who values rationality can
> take anything that Craig Weinberg says seriously. But no, I believe I'm a
> better judge of what i think than you are and I really think that  I don't
> see how anybody who values rationality can take anything that Craig
> Weinberg says seriously.
>

> You can always go at the meta-level and ask yourself how could a machine
> asserts things like that.
> The surprise here is that self-referentially correct machines can assert
> quite similar things than Craig, and of course this refutes his no-comp
> conclusion or prejudice.

So if  self-referentially correct machines can assert quite similar things
that I do, what about the self-referentially correct machines can assert
similar things to what Bruno asserts? If one machine claims that the other
machine's reports are self-referential artifacts, then how can you say that
self-referentially correct machines assert anything in particular? Where
are you getting the sense of machine consensus when comp would mean that
humans, often incapable of consensus, would contribute evidence to support
or contradict any position or belief?

About astrology, I suspect it was a kind of provocation only.

Astrology is interesting to me because if there were nothing to it than the
charts of important figures and events in history, and members of families
would show no meaningful patterns beyond what is expected by coincidence
and confirmation bias. If you look at the actual charts and analyze them
you will find an unfailing and obvious correspondence even subtracting out
a generous confirmation bias. Look them up. See what Napoleon's chart looks
like, and Hitler, and Einstein. They are all readily available online. Look
up the Moon landing and JFK assassination. If you are interested, then
don't take my word for it. If you aren't interested, then go on assuming
that it is idiotic, it makes no difference to me.

Craig