On Monday, April 29, 2013 7:48:34 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On 4/29/2013 2:18 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM, John Clark
> > <johnk...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:

> conscious.
> >>
> >> If they're right then that certainly solves the consciousness problem
> and we
> >> can move on to solving the REALLY hard problem, figuring out why some
> things
> >> behave intelligently.
> > I don't really understand why you insist that intelligence is a harder
> > problem than consciousness.
>
> I think John's point is that it's easy to theorize about the "hard
> problem" of
> consciousness because the problem isn't even well defined

It's easy to theorize about the hard problem of consciousness being ill
defined if you don't really understand it. A lot of people don't agree on
what energy is or time. That doesn't mean that it is easy to theorize about
them sensibly.

> and there's no way to test the
> theories because consciousness is taken to be a first-person-only
> phenomenon by
> definition.

It just means that some phenomena cannot be understood in the same way as
others. What qualia lack in public measure, they more than make up for in
private intensity.

>  On the other hand it is pretty easy to test intelligence - we do it all
> the
> time.  But creating intelligence is a "hard" problem.

Creating intelligence without consciousness isn't conceptually hard, it
just takes a lot of resources.

> > I think we have very solid hypothesis on
> > why some things behave intelligently, you explained it yourself. The
> > problem becomes easier if we reject meaning, and accept that evolution
> > is just a mindless process of complexification.
> >
> > In any case, through a modern combination of computer science,
> > neuroscience and biology, we know a lot about intelligence. We know
> > nothing about consciousness (scientifically, that is -- I know a lot
> > about my own consciousness).
>
> Maybe because (scientifically) there's nothing to know.  What would
> constitute a solution
> to the "hard problem" that could be tested?

The solution is that the problem can't be solved externally, it has to be
experienced directly. Why qualia exists is self-evident: because that is
what the universe actually is.

>  I think the best we will be able to do is to
> understand human brains to the point that we can manipulate thoughts and
> emotions as
> reported by subjects and we can make AI robots that behave like humans and
> whose
> "character" we can design as desired.  When we've done that we'll "bet"
> (as Bruno would
> say) that we've solved the problem.

That's like saying "We won't need auto mechanics once we have mastered
driving."

Craig