Hi,

   A resent paper by A.D. Wissner-Gross & C.E. Freer suggest that
"...intelligent
behavior in general spontaneously emerges from an agent’s effort to ensure
its freedom of action in the future. According to this theory, intelligent
systems move towards those configurations which maximize their ability to
respond and adapt to future changes."
see: http://io9.com/how-skynet-might-emerge-from-simple-physics-482402911 The
technical paper is here:
http://www.alexwg.org/publications/PhysRevLett_110-168702.pdf