On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>
>> > I also believe that some isolated tribes assume everything is conscious.
>

> If they're right then that certainly solves the consciousness problem and we
> can move on to solving the REALLY hard problem, figuring out why some things
> behave intelligently.

I don't really understand why you insist that intelligence is a harder
problem than consciousness. I think we have very solid hypothesis on
why some things behave intelligently, you explained it yourself. The
problem becomes easier if we reject meaning, and accept that evolution
is just a mindless process of complexification.

In any case, through a modern combination of computer science,
neuroscience and biology, we know a lot about intelligence. We know
nothing about consciousness (scientifically, that is -- I know a lot
about my own consciousness).

>> > Why? All of current science works fine without it. Its only function is
>> > religious.
>

> But as I said before, I personally would not work fine if I thought I was
> the only conscious being in the universe

Ok, but please notice -- this is exactly the same reason a lot of
people claim for being religious. That they couldn't face life without
god.

> and I very much doubt that you
> would either; unless of course you are not conscious now and never have
> been.

I'll propose a thought experiment on this soon. I've been a bit busy
with the annoying logistics of changing cities...

>> > No.

>> > No.
>

> EXCELLENT! Congratulations your views are consistent, and thus your doubts
> about the consciousness of a intelligent computer must not be any greater
> than your doubts about the consciousness of a intelligent human being.

Ok, we agree on this.

Telmo.