On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2013, at 12:27, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:
>

> I don't believe 9-11 was anything but a Jihadist conspiracy, not a Bush
> conspiracy. Bush was an enormously flawed elitist, who slightly rose above
> his station as prez. He really didn't benefit by 9-11,
>

> The goal was the patriot act and NDAA-like policy, I am afraid. I did not
> believe in conspiracy, because I thought the patriot act was temporary, but
> the NDAA makes it indefinite making the war on terror looking like the war
> on drug.
> You might be right, but as I said, the NDAA is even more scandalous than
> the drug policy, which is already a proof of "conspiracy/special
> interests". The NSA is non sense too.
> And the lack of transparency on 9/11 can only add suspicion.
>
> It begins to look clear to me that the drug wrong-doers are only
> protecting themselves. That both Saddam and Bin Laden were not captured
> alive is also quite astonishing. It has become hard for me to separate the
> prohibition scandal from the 9/11 unanswered questions.
>
> Since Nixon, the US democracy, and many others, seems to be completely
> perverted. There are many things which do not fit.
>
> Obama is Bush^Bush. I have stopped to believe in any difference between
> republicans and democrats. They both continue to defend the exact same
> special interests.
>
> Bruno

It's amazing how complex the hype around this makes everything seem,
masking quite simple things:

Humans have always used war as a means to consolidate power and
accelerate/stimulate economic growth. In absence of a real foes and forced
to drop racism, humans turn to invent foes like terror, drugs, sexual
orientation, lifestyles, political tendencies, privacy through
cryptography... anything that will enable some reductionist marking of a
minority as "witch". Then print money without remorse because "we're saving
the world from itself".

Yes, governments will make it hurt but the trivial fact of the matter
remains: people are more likely to die in mundane, banal circumstances like
cars/infections than via terror etc.

Whatever Snowden's motives, he has his eye on the ball that matters when he
says:

*"We managed to survive greater threats in our history ... than a few
disorganized terrorist groups and rogue states without resorting to these
sorts of programs. It is not that I do not value intelligence, but that I
oppose ... omniscient, automatic, mass surveillance .... That seems to me a
greater threat to the institutions of free society than missed intelligence
reports, and unworthy of the costs."*

PGC